January 9, 2013
The oohs and ahhs always fill the dining room when we serve the Sweet Potato Ginger Soup!
I just got a request to post the recipe to our blog and we are always happy to do so.
Sweet Potato Ginger Soup
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 inch chunk (1 ounce) fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, and left whole
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 1/2 cups low-salt canned chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Greek Yogurt
Melt the butter in a soup pot over low hear. Cook the onion in the butter, stirring occasionally, until very soft but not browned, 10 to 13 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and cardamon and cook for another minute. Increase the heat to high and add the jalapeño, sweet potatoes, 4 cups of the broth, and the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are very soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
In a blender, puree the soup in batches until very smooth. Rinse and dry the pot and return the pureed soup to it. Add the remaining broth and bring to a simmer over the medium-low heat. Add the lime juice and brown sugar, and season with salt and white pepper to taste.
To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls and add a dollop of the yogurt on top.
Serves 4 to 6.